Sweet Potato Crisps with Chilli Coconut Salt
- 3 sweet potato (skin on, scrubbed (you can use orange,purple or white))
- Light olive oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
Chilli coconut salt
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- For the chilli coconut salt; Scatter coconut into a small non-stick frying pan. Place over medium heat. Cook shaking pan for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove to plate to cool. Transfer coconut to a small food processor, add remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice the sweet potato into rounds. Pat surface dry with paper towel.
- Half fill a medium saucepan or wok with oil and heat over medium heat until hot. Cook the sweet potato in batches, for 2-3 minutes until light golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a wire rack sitting over a baking tray.
- Sprinkle crisps with a little salt as they come from the oil. Repeat until all sweet potato crisps are cooked, reheating the oil between batches as needed.
- Crisps will keep 3 days in an airtight jar. if they go a little soft just spread onto a baking tray and heat in 200°C fan forced oven for 3-5 minutes (on cooling they will become crisp again)
- No Mandolin, peel sweet potatoes into long strips using a potato peeler.
- When cooking the crisps, a sign they are cooked is when the oil stops bubbling.