Cinnamon Kanzi® Apple Fries
For an indulgent treat, try these tasty Kanzi® Apple Fries tossed in spiced cinnamon sugar.
- 3-4 medium size Kanzi®apples (peeled, cored and sliced into 5mmwedges)
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose plain flour
- ¾ cup full cream milk
- 1 medium egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp ground clove
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp full fat cream (or coconut cream)
- pinch sea salt
- Pour the vegetable oil (4cm high) into a medium size saucepan with deep sides. Place on medium-high heat and bring it up to frying point (185C).
- In a mixing bowl combine the plain flour, sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Then add the milk, lightly beaten egg and the vanilla essence. Using a whisk, whisk until well combined and no lumps appear.
- Add the Kanzi®apple slices to the batter to coat.
- While the oil is heating up, prepare your cinnamon sugar by simply mixing both ingredients together. Set aside on a large plate.
- Test if the oil is hot enough by adding in a tiny spoon of batter, it should sizzle and little bubbles should form around the batter edges. If not, allow it to heat up further.
- Pick up a Kanzi® apple slice and allow any excess batter to drip off before placing it in the oil. Use a slotted spoon to gently turn the apple slice over once the batter coating has developed a light golden brown colour and cook the other side (2-3 minutes each side). Drain off any excess oil andplace on paper towel. Repeat the process in batches of 5-6 slices at a time to prevent the slices sticking to each other.
- Toss the cooked Kanzi® apple fries in the cinnamon sugar to coat all sides.
To make the caramel sauce:
- Combine the lemon juice and the corn flour in a small saucepan.
- Stir until well combined and any lumps are removed. Then stir in the remainder of the ingredients.
- Allow to simmer on medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauces tarts to thicken. Keep stirring to prevent lumps forming. Depending on your sweet tooth, a little more maple syrup can be added.
- Once the caramel sauce is thickened and the taste of the corn flour has disappeared take it off the heat.
- Enjoy your Kanzi® apple fries with a side of caramel sauce, served from as mall pouring jug.
Recipe credit–Kanzi® apples