125g butter, softened
180g CSR Lite Reduced Calorie Sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
150g wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup full cream milk
1 small pinch salt
2 pink lady apples, cored and cut
in thin slices
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsps warmed CSR Golden Syrup
Whipped cream or natural
Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Butter and line a 20cm round cake pan.
3. Pour the lemon juice over the apple
slices and toss them. This will stop them
4. In an electric mixer, whisk the butter and
CSR Lite Reduced Calorie Sugar until light
5. Add the eggs and vanilla, then beat until
6. With the mixer on a very low speed,
add the milk then the flour, spices, salt
and milk, beat until well combined.
Scraping the bowl down at least once when
you do this.
7. Pour the batter into the cake pan and
smooth the top of the batter. Then arrange
the apple slices in a decorative pattern on
the top of the cake and brush with a little
warmed CSR Golden Syrup.
8. Bake, covered with a sheet of baking paper
for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and
cooked through. Test with a metal skewer.
9. While warm, brush again with a little
warmed CSR Golden Syrup and serve with
a generous dollop of cream or yoghurt.