Anzac Caramel Slice
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus 1 ½ hours chilling time
Cook time: 40 minutes
Anzac biscuit base and crumble
150g Fairy margarine, diced
⅓ cup (80ml) golden syrup
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
1 cup (150g) plain flour
¼ cup (55g) brown sugar
¾ cup (60g) desiccated coconut
¼ teaspoon bi-carb soda
100g Fairy margarine, diced
½ cup (110g) brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
200g dark chocolate, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons melted Copha
ANZAC biscuit base and crumble
- Preheat oven 180°C/160°C (fan-forced) and line a 28cm x 18cm rectangular slice pan with baking paper, making sure to leave a 3cm overhang on each of the longest edges. Line a second baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt Fairy margarine and golden syrup together in a saucepan over low heat.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar and coconut in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add bi-carb soda to golden syrup mixture and mix well. Pour immediately into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Remove ½ cup of the Anzac base mixture and crumble onto a prepared baking tray. Press remaining mixture evenly into the base of the slice pan.
- Transfer both slice pan and baking tray to oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Check crumb after 10 minutes and remove if browning too fast. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven 160°C/140°C (fan-forced)
- Place Fairy margarine, sugar and vanilla into a saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until melted and well combined. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles just appear on the surface.
- Add condensed milk and stir constantly until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Pour immediately over biscuit base. Tilt pan to spread evenly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Stand for 20 minutes to cool.
- Place chocolate and Copha into a medium heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir over low heat until melted. Pour over slice and spread with a spatula.
- Break up Anzac crumb and scatter over chocolate. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Substitute Copha with vegetable oil.
- Make sure chocolate does not come in contact with steam or water while melting.
- Melt chocolate and Copha in a microwave safe bowl on HIGH for 30 second bursts. Mix well between heating until melted and smooth.