Nothing quite says comfort food like a baked apple, except of course, a baked apple filled with chocolate honeycomb.
The sourness of the crème fraiche perfectly balances out the sweetness of the baked apple and you can use any apple variety you prefer for this dish.
An easy midweek treat for the family or a decadent dessert for a celebration. This recipe can be simply multiplied for a crowd and your guests will never know how easy it was!
Gluten Free Honeycomb Baked Apples
Author: Bree May
4 large Apples
1 cup Menz Honeycomb, roughly chopped
½ cup Shredded Coconut
¼ cup slivered Almonds
¼ cup Honey, plus extra to drizzle
Crème Fraiche and extra Menz Honeycomb to serve
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°c fan-forced.
- In a medium bowl mix together the honeycomb, coconut, almonds and honey.
- Using an apple corer or paring knife, remove the cores from the apples leaving a cavity at least 1cm from the bottom of the apple and at least an inch wide.
Fill the apple cavities with the honeycomb mixture, making sure to compact it well. Divide any leftover mixture between the apples creating a mound on top of each – don’t be alarmed if the mound is high as this will cook down considerably.
- Place the apples into a compact baking dish and carefully pour in ½ cup of hot water.
Place a layer of baking paper over the top of the apples and then cover the dish tightly with foil.
Bake for 45 minutes and then remove the foil and paper, and bake for a further 15 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with a spoonful of crème fraiche, an extra scattering of chopped honeycomb and a drizzle of honey.