350 g (2 1/3 cups) plain flour, sifted
150 g (1 cup) self raising flour, sifted
250 g (1 block) Fairy margarine,
cut into small pieces
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
60 ml (1/4 cup) cold water
20g Fairy margarine
6 large cooking apples,
peeled and sliced
110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
Juice and zest of one lemon
1/4 cup sultanas
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons caster sugar
Vanilla ice cream to serve
1. Combine flours and Fairy in a food processor.
Process until mixture resembles fine
breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk, vanilla essence and
sufficient water until pastry comes together.
2. Knead dough lightly, pat two thirds into a flat
round shape. Wrap in baking paper. Repeat
with the remaining one third. Place into the
refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
3. Pre-heat oven to 200°C
4. Roll out the larger piece of pastry on a floured
bench and line a 20 cm pie dish.
5. Line with baking paper and fill with baking
beans or rice. Rest in refrigerator for another 20
6. Blind bake pastry for 10 minutes; remove the
paper and beans or rice, turn the temperature
down to 180°C. Leave to cool.
1. Melt Fairy in a heavy based pan over a low heat
add the remaining filling ingredients. Cover with
a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes until the apple
has softened. Stir occasionally.
2. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
1. Fill the pie with the cooled apple mixture.
2. Roll out the remaining pastry, place on top of
the pie, seal the edges and crimp together.
3. Brush with the egg and sprinkle over sugar.
Make 3 vents in the pie top to allow steam to
4. Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes, reduce
heat to 150°C for a further 20 minutes or until
Serve warm with ice cream.